Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

Double Vision

A couple of weeks ago, I shared my thoughts regarding 2015 Topps Update, with its ridiculously large base set and barf back selections.   I should've waited to purchase any of this product.  Waited until Update WITH Chrome was on the shelves. Known for my patience, I rushed over to Target swerving only once to miss a pedestrian.  In the throes of excitement, I still remembered to yield at the crosswalk.  There were FOUR boxes on the shelf, so I purchased them all saving another collector the trouble of waiting in a long check-out line.

Four boxes should yield a few nice Chrome beauties, right?  Eight Chrome cards per box times four boxes = 32 pieces of fancy cardboard.  The subliminal messages were all over the first box.




 
The first box held nothing extraordinary. Update base left me with a yawn, but oh those Chromium boys were looking handsome in their sparkly coating.  Second box. Hey didn't I just open this box? As the ripping continued, my disappointment grew.  I realize the Chrome set is small but four boxes should yield a little variety. Behold the dupes...
 

Pederson and Buxton are nice cards, all four have homes.

 



 
The loners:
 
 

Rookie Sensations look great in Chrome:

Of these four, Jose Fernandez is available for trade.
 

 
Russell/250 goes to my growing Cubbie Rookie collection .  Noah/99 is moving on to COMC.  He lost my respect throwing at Escobar's head in the World Series.  There is no excuse for throwing at someone's head E-V-E-R!
 
I feel like a sucker right now.  I gave Update a second chance, hoping to become more than just acquaintances. Chrome scammed me, the Pick-Pocket.  No more box purchases til 2016.  Done for now, thanks to you Topps.  I vow now: I will not purchase another box of Update again, no matter the year. Never. 
 
Football season is coming...then perhaps I'll get a laugh in.  No logos, no team names.  See how you like it Big Boy.  I'll be cuddled up on the sofa, holding Panini's hand in mine, looking forward to our bright future together. 
 

21 comments:

  1. Dang, I'd love those dupe Ichiros...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email your address to me - i'll send you one. :) acrackedbat atgmail dot com

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't be upset with dupe Rangers but is probably pull dupe Phillies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian - want a Ranger or two? not sure if I still have it so email me with your address.

      Delete
  3. All these shiny cards are going to make me want to pick up one of these Holiday Boxes. That does suck about the dupes, though. Topps has had some odd things going on in the collation department lately. (And if the other Ichiro happens to be available after Mr. Zappy, I'd love a shot at it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is an Ichiro with your name on it :) thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. Yikes! At least most of them are tradeable. You should be able to turn them into sought after Tigers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all those cards and not a single Pirate for ya.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. indeed. I love pulling cards for myself of course, but to share as well. no Sox for you. although...I do have a little stack about to head off in your direction. :)

      Delete
  6. What a bummer of a box. That's why I always cherry pick what I want instead of buying boxes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Julie,
    I'd love to trade for any of the base Update (non-chrome) you don't want, and from the sound out it that's all of it, for any that I need for my set. Let me know I've got a nice stack of Tigers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update was the first time I ever got two boxes (plain hobby boxes) and got all different inserts except one and a complete base set. Usually I get what you got out of these and duplicate 60% of the inserts between the two boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know you'll never duplicate that feat again. heh,sigh...

      Delete
  9. And of all that... Two Jays... Well.. One and a quarter.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. two Jays - one flew to France and the other into my Price collection. It's a Tigers collection tho so maybe it should be Price-less.

      Delete
    2. Makes sense.. I think there are a few that would like to keep theirs Priceless as well.. Though I think more are upset with Rogers than anything..

      Delete