Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Hoyle Can Do 90

Mark Hoyle, uber popular non-blogging trader, is known for vintage.  When he sends it, he lays it on heavy.  Vintage should  be heavy.  I've been a victim, casualty, grateful recipient of Mark's vintage vendetta in the past!  Mark threw me a curve with his most recent package.  He stuffed a  PWE with some 90s cardboard. Thinner cardstock means more cards in an envelope. 

We start with 1995 Ultra and work our way back in time...to the 80s:


95 Ultra held some promise.  The foil around last names was too thick. First names are much easier to pick out on these cards. Photography was good!  Promises were broken with the card's backside.  Name and stats hard to read against the two-toned pictures.

Keeping me a bit off-centered which isn't too difficult, Mark Trammelled me:

                                             1993 Triple Play                    1989 Fleer Super Stars
                                                1988 Score                                 1989 Donruss

   I can't say any of these designs are favorites but I do like the color of Score. These Trammell's were needed.  Below, we have a pair from 1992 Triple Play.  I believe the design catered to younger collectors.  For some reason, this hot red, orange and yellow combo makes me crave sunflower seeds.  Makes NO sense.  I don't like them in the first place.



Here's a little splash o'green just in time for St. Patty's Day with 1993 Select.  This set is probably best know for a condition sensitive Jeter rookie.   Behind all the hoopla, there were the proven players making their humble appearances:



                                     1993 Ultra       1989 I'm Bigger and Better than all of you Bowman




Mark, thanks for taking the time to fill an envelope.  It's always appreciated!  I have a little something on the way to you!

I do want to share another card I received in January.  It was a kind thank you from P-town Tom at Waiting 'til Next Year.    From 2013 Topps, the Kaline 1954 RC patch.  I love the blue borders.  The orange really stands out. The manu-patches are either hit or miss, even within the same set.  This one works for me.  Tom, thank you!



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you are a great bunch of guys!!! Thanks for accepting me into your community!

      Delete
  2. I had picked up three binders filled with pages at a yard sale last summer. ( very Fuji like). The binders were filled with cards mostly early 90's stuff. Little by little I've been sending them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start yard/garage sale shopping! After the March 15 deadline, I 'll be sending several packages. You are on the list!

      Delete
  3. That patch is awesome, I gotta check out more of those. I like that TRAMMELL card too, is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not weird at all, perhaps you have a little Tiger blood after all. I like a good many manu-patches. Some of the designs are quite original, and very affordable. I may even have a Giant or two stocked away.

      Delete
    2. Well I remember stepping IN some Tiger blood around 2012, but... (Aaaaand she never talked to me again.)

      Delete
    3. well Great One, sounds like you're lucky to be alive!

      Delete